Artefacts join permanent display
IWC has been gifted into its custodianship some more Indigenous artefacts, which will join the collection on permanent public display at IWC Health & Wellbeing Complex in Bundaberg.
The ancient artefacts, provided by a local community member, are a pair of axe heads and a grinding stone set.
The information accompanying them is as follows: “These pieces of grooved stone are part of a special pair of stones used for grinding wild grass seed to make a type of bread/cake and are from the Quilpie area. These axe heads were recovered from a farm paddock at Kepnock in 1996 after a small section of previously unused ground was open up by a deep ripping. These brought up the volcanic rock that prevails off Great Head Road. A subsequent and very heavy raid event washed much of the soil away exposing the rock and the artefacts. This paddock is positioned along a natural creek line and the area would have been abundant with fish, ducks, kangaroo etc prior to white settlement. These tools give a direct link to this area and the first inhabitants.”
The IWC complex has the largest permanent display of Indigenous artefacts in the region, and is open to everyone free of charge. The Complex is at 184 Barolin St, Bundaberg (corner Sims Road) and is open weekdays.
IWC takes its custodianship of ancient Aboriginal, Torres Strait and South Sea Islander items very seriously, and invites anyone with Indigenous artefacts they wish to share with both Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples to contact us by email at email@example.com, through Facebook message or by calling 1300 492 492. It is part of the way IWC is working with and for our communities to build Reconciliation in Action every day.
Pictured with the artefacts is IWC staff member Dale Brown, of the Communities’ Integrated Team Care (ITC) program.